Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sisters Forever

I remember when they brought you home
You were all red and tears were pouring
I walked you across the schoolyard every day
You claimed you had a tummy ache

I remember the time you ripped your toenail off
And I wished I could have traded places with you
I remember the time you were in the hospital
And Brother Treece came and prayed for you

I remember all the mornings ironing your clothes
Sitting up with you "just one more time" until you went to sleep
Or going with you in the dark to turn on the light
I remember fighting and yelling and giggles and laughs

When did you grow up so fast, I ask?
Now you have kids and all the possibilities they hold
Responsibilities that come with a life of your own
Where is the kid with the tears and the tummy ache?

No one comes between us, no one dares to try
We are sisters forever, you and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment